We had the good fortune of connecting with Dirk Haupt and we’ve shared our conversation below.
Hi Dirk, what was your thought process behind starting your own business?
I’ve always been attracted to the lifestyle that is possible when having your own business. I call it the Small Business Lifestyle or jokingly w friends #smallbusinesslifestyle.
The SBL to me is 7 things:
1. Freedom/Flexibility: I set my schedule. I work when I most productive. I take breaks throughout the day to reduce stress and anxiety. I exercise mid-morning which is my favorite time to exercise. My family and I do things during the week and avoid the weekend rush.
2. Flow: The SBL is NOT about working less or taking it easy. It is about working hard but on things that you are passionate about and suited for so you experience flow, meaning hrs can fly by and it feels like minutes.
3. Fulfillment/Purpose: I pick and choose my work giving priority to those projects that have a positive impact on the world. I feel the purpose of business is to provide a benefit to your community so however my business can support other businesses who do that, this is how I have fulfillment.
4. Fun/Joy: Several times a week I hang out at coffee shops working with friends of mine who are small business owners and we sometimes get nothing done, rather laugh and share life with each other for hours. When I work from home I am around my family more and I am alert enough to hear their jokes, stories, and hear their laughter in the other rooms.
5. People: Life is about people so I pick and choose clients who will fill my cup or empty it. I also love to work with vendors who are good positive people who I will not only continue to work with but also become friends with.
6. Balance: I do not give my best hrs to my job and give my family what is left at the end of the day. I give a much better distribution of my time to the 10 people/areas of my life – my wife, kids, friends/community, God, myself, work, health, hobbies, financials, and intellectual interests.
7. Profits: I almost don’t like this one but your business has to drive your economic engine or the SBL isn’t even viable. But there is such a thing as enough. Live a simple lifestyle, live within your means, figure out what you need to cover that, and only shoot for that…don’t get caught up in making ALL the money…if you do, none of the other 6 of these are possible.
Can you give our readers an introduction to your business? Maybe you can share a bit about what you do and what sets you apart from others?
We are a small business bookkeeping, back office, and coaching business.
We lead with the goal of living the SBL. This is what sets us apart, we are most proud of, and most excited about!
Our brand and our story is the SBL.
Let’s say your best friend was visiting the area and you wanted to show them the best time ever. Where would you take them? Give us a little itinerary – say it was a week long trip, where would you eat, drink, visit, hang out, etc.
We would eat at my favorite places Ah-So, Forefather’s Cheesesteaks, and Tropical Sno. We would hang out at The Churchill downtown and State 48 Norterra. We would hike trails up at Apache Wash and Sedona.
The Shoutout series is all about recognizing that our success and where we are in life is at least somewhat thanks to the efforts, support, mentorship, love and encouragement of others. So is there someone that you want to dedicate your shoutout to?
Gosh, there is really too many to list…
People: Dan Creed, Tandem Collaborative, Charlie & Lynn Boeyink, Brian Marino, Jeff Kubiak, Jonathan Roe, Garrett Murphy and about 100 others….
Books: Emyth Revisited, Thought Leaders Practice, 4 Hour Work Week. and about 100 others…