We had the good fortune of connecting with Lauren Waterman and we’ve shared our conversation below.
Hi Lauren, let’s talk legacy – what do you want yours to be?
1) My first thought was how much I wanted to be independent. I really wanted to start working for myself instead of someone else.
2) We really do work 24/7. If we’re not drawing or coming up with new ideas, we are taking photos for Instagram or videos for Tiktok. We’re making sure all of our receipts and invoices are together for tax time. We really do everything ourselves.
3) I see risk taking as powerful and positive thing, There is always a lesson to be learned when taking a risk. Just as long as your risk is planned and calculated to lean more towards a positive outcome, things usually come out fine in the end. That’s not to say the challenges won’t be difficult, but they will hopefully be more manageable with a plan. Is it scary to take a risk? Yes, of course. The risk can change your entire life and ways of thinking about things. But not taking that chance, can leave you with even more regret in the future. Risk has played a huge role in my business and my life. When y0u own your own business, risk comes with the territory. I took a chance in leaving my corporate job in the middle of a pandemic, moved, and started completely over again. Looking back I could have done some things differently, but its all part of the learning process!
4) The most important decision I’ve made was making items in my shop that not only represented me, but items that people can relate too. I love designing stickers and making ones that people can say “hey, I love that because I’ve been through that “.
5) The most import factor in my success was the support of my sister and my boyfriend. Without them I probably would have given up and not have tried as hard as I have.
6) The most difficult decision I’ve had to make was moving away from home and from all of my family.
7) I have a great work life balance! When running your own business, working 6-7 days a week isn’t uncommon. You have too accept that you will do whatever it takes to be successful when you are running everything yourself. I honestly I love it and it’s what works for me. I think balance is something you make and you really set your own limit.
8) My favorite quote is “if a plan doesn’t work, change the plan but never the goal”. if something doesn’t work the first time lets try something else but I will never give up my dream or goal.
9) Ever since I was little I’ve always had a creative side to me. As I got older I started to drift from that. I thought money was more important than my happiness. Even though I’ve taken a major financial risk and I’ve already been through some tough times with my business, I am truly happy doing this and the personal freedom I have.
10) I just want people to remember me as the women who made relatable and fun stickers, that put smiles on people’s faces. I think we definitely need more smiles in this world. Even if its from a silly sticker I created.
Alright, so let’s move onto what keeps you busy professionally?
My art is an expression of things I relate too. It’s a way for me to share what I love with others.
What sets me apart is that all my stickers are created by me. They can go on pretty much any surface. I am so excited to see where my business takes me. I have so many ideas that I plan on releasing in the future!
Research, tons and tons of research. I, like many people, went to college for a totally different career path and found out that I really didn’t like what I was doing. It wasn’t easy because I felt like I waisted a ton of time. A big lesson I’ve learned so far, is that it takes time. Having a small business is like having a baby. It takes time, work, effort, and determination. But, most of all, it takes patience.
Word of mouth is the most successful advertising, but also can take time to spread.
If you had a friend visiting you, what are some of the local spots you’d want to take them around to?
After I pick up my best friend from the airport we heading down to Mango Rabbit for some Boba!
Arizona is such a beautiful place, we will definitely be going to Hole in the Rock in Phoenix. It’s a great place for a hike and you don’t have to drive far. One of the many thing I enjoy about living in the Phoenix area. Afterwards we’ll head on over to Pue blo to pick out some house plants!
Next are heading over to Two Hands Korean Hot Dogs in Mesa! We have to hit up some local breweries as well! So we’ll be heading to over to PHX Beer Co. Brewery to play some games and drink a few beers!
Lastly, we will head west to Soda Bomb! I have never had soda the way Soda Bomb does it! It’s almost hard to describe how good it is!
Shoutout is all about shouting out others who you feel deserve additional recognition and exposure. Who would you like to shoutout?
The first person that needs a huge shoutout from me is my sister Alyssa. Without her I would not have the encouragement and space. She went out of her way to make space for me to work on my business and I will never forget that!
The second person I need to give a shoutout is my boyfriend Michael. He has been my biggest fan, Every time I make a post on Instagram, he always reposts it on his story to get my products/name out there. He truly is the best!
And last but not least my parents, they have always supported my artistic side and have always been there for me!